Starting on Tuesday 4/16 and running through Saturday 4/17, there are a slew of events and activities at Roosevelt’s Schaumburg Campus to celebrate Earth Week, promote sustainability, and raise awareness about environmental issues.
Tuesday 4/16 thru Monday 4/22
Strive for Zero Waste Recycling Event
- Center for Campus Life: Find your carbon footprint live in the Center for Campus Life
- Rotunda: Recycling bins for e-waste, batteries, CFL bulbs, books, paper, plastics, clothing
Film Screening of SoLa, 5-6pm (room 704)
SoLa is a visually beautiful 2010 documentary by Jon Bowermaster that depicts the rich and complex relationship between people and water on Louisana’s Gulf Coast, an area rich in culture, biodiversity, and oil. The film explores the many dimensions of environmental justice in a landscape of water, marshland, and petroleum infrastructure — a place that is simultaneously a mega-industrial landscape of refineries and pipelines, an endangered fishery, and an ecological treasure that is fast disappearing under the process of relentless development.
RSVP for either film by emailing Prof. Mike Bryson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or calling 847-619-8735.
Saturday 4/20 Soil Service Day
UrbanPioneers 2013 Community Garden, 9am-Noon
- Compost turnover and gardens are prepared for planting
- John Eskandari lecture: “Getting Down and Dirty with Soil” (9am)
- Supplies available to construct bottle birdfeeders and paper planter seed starters during Carnival event
Virtual: YouTube video of “Getting Down and Dirty with Soil”
Monday 4/22 (Earth Day)
Virtual: Project UpCycle – Best UpCycle ideas Honors on Roosevelt University Sustainability Pinterest page
Thursday 4/26 Arbor Day Celebration
Campus Tree Planting – White Pine
Saturday, 4/27 Soil Service Day
RUrbanPioneers 2013 Community Garden, 9am-Noon: Compost turnover and Gardens are prepared for planting